Saturday, July 23, 2016

Fun With Burlap

Recently, I decided I would take the opportunity to work with burlap for the first time.  I do admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for burlap, but I was always afraid to work with it because of its large, open weave and its ability to unravel.  Burlap has a look and feel of simple, down-to-earth home.  It often reminds me of the unadorned, bulk burlap bags which hold balsamic or jasmine rice that I purchase from some of the Indian and Asian grocery stores.  Burlap qualities have a homey, unrefined and a humble familiarity...a recognizable plainness.  It reminds me of how far we have come from the basics of natural and uncomplicated living.  Sometimes, I believe it represents some of the traits I wish life could be.

My work with burlap resulted with three home projects.  One is a burlap wreath that now hangs on the front door which warmly welcomes guests.



The second is an easy to sew window valance for a small window in our main bathroom.  The bathroom was painted by the previous owners in a milk chocolate brown and is trimmed with a wallpaper border of moose, bears and deer.   So with the pre-cut and sized burlap deco mesh from Christmas, I fashioned the burlap into a simple valance with lace.



And last, my burlap and lace runner for the dining room buffet.




I love the burlap roses.


I hope you will have some burlap fun too.

Upcoming........



Please don't forget to come back and join me when I participate in my first blog hop starting the week of August 1, 2016 organized by Chloe Crabtree of  Celebrate and Decorate at http://celebrateanddecorate.com/

Below is the schedule for the week of the blog hop.  I hope you enjoy all of the great ideas that are being shared by such creative bloggers/artists.

MONDAY



TUESDAY



WEDNESDAY



THURSDAY



FRIDAY


9 comments:

  1. Burlap is great and I love the things you made. Your lace and burlap runner is so pretty and unique too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been burlap busy! Love the runner!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your burlap projects! They are all so pretty. So glad you shared this with us at the DI & DI Link Party. I hope it brings you some new friends and traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great burlap projects! I just made my first burlap wreath and will be sharing a tutorial shortly, and I even used some in my tablescape for the hop next week! I can't wait to see all of the tables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody loves burlap! I love your wreath and pinned it. :)

    Happy Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marsha! Here it is nearly 2 am and courtesy of insomnia I'm catching up on my blog reading :)

    I absolutely love all your burlap projects! You did an amazing job and yes, it can definitely be tricky to work with that material, but one would never know it by looking at the end result of your work.

    Congrats on your first blog hop!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope burlap never goes out of style! Thanks for sharing with us at Celebrate Your Story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty burlap projects! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your burlap and lace runner..like the wreath also and have made one, not exactly like yours. Maybe I will try a runner.

    ReplyDelete