Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Party Cake

It has been a long time since I baked and decorated a cake simply because, although the taste is good,  the weight increases quickly (and sometimes just by purely inhaling the sweet, enticing aroma).  In the past, there was always a reason to bake those delicious, creamy delights.......the childrens' birthdays, celebrations at work, friends and neighbors' birthdays or anniversaries, family reunions, the end of the growing season, departure and arrival parties, retirement parties, weddings, baby showers, holidays, full moons, half moons, blue moons and sometimes no reason at all!

Since our son's surprise visit home, I thought it would an appropriate time to bring out the pastry bag and sharpen up my cake decorating skills.  Its been at least five years now since I made my homemade marshmallow fondant recipe for the cakes.  I found the recipe online and really enjoy working with it as well eating it.  You can view it at:  Homemade Marshmallow Fondant Recipe.   I use it primarily to cover the cake since I want to cut down on the amount of frosting and sweetness that goes into the finished cake.  A thin layer of this marshmallow fondant along with some dots of whipped cream frosting and the cake is moist, delectable and sure to be a hit.

 Here it is....the luscious temptation that make me a full-figure woman.






4 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha. I know what your mean. As we get older we have to be more careful than before. I was always a skinny person (hated it) when young but when I reached 50 things changed. Things still taste as good though, and it's a good thing that the kids are moved out so we don't have to bake all those goodies any more???? Your cake, however, could be an exception to that rule. So beautiful..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, I use to bake all the time when the children were little. (Of course, the holidays being an exception. I still bake then.) Baking with the children makes for great memories, but my hips didn't appreciate it. If I bake now, it is usually something made from the garden like zucchini bread or cobbler and pumpkin puree pancakes and muffins. Even then, I am trying to use frozen garden items in something other than a dessert, like zucchini cheese patties and pumpkin butter for toast. It is healthier but still seems to be high in calories which I need to count carefully being in my last 50's. Thank you for your lovely comment. Happy Spring and Happy Easter.

      Delete
  2. I admit homemade marshmallow fondant is the only kind I have found to be yummy! The color of this cake is so pretty!
    I know what you mean! We are trying to go low carb and no one cares to hear about my celery sticks with buffalo sauce!! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The marshmallow fondant is more palatable. My first time using fondant was one purchased through a cake decorating supply store. I used it to make the flowers on my daughter's wedding cake, but the cake itself was a whipped cream frosting. I didn't use the fondant to cover the cake either since no one enjoys eating it. However, later when I came across the marshmallow fondant recipe, I had to try it. I made a small cake for the family and found that it was really good even though I did not flavor it. Perhaps when I find a really good flavoring or oil, I will try it. Have you tried it flavored? Good luck with the low carb cooking. The celery sticks and buffalo sauce sound really good to me. Have a wonderful Easter and thank you.

      Delete