Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Box Pouch

I am often amazed at the beautiful creations that are made from the talented women who sew them.  I have a great admiration for their time, patience and analytical skills to cut, assemble and sew gorgeous items for family, home and art. 

When my sweet daughter asked me to sew a box/office supply pouch for her, my first reaction was ......yikes.....can I sew in a zipper?  After a few days of being intimidated by zipper nightmares, I finally looked up some YouTube videos on how to make a box pouch.  After viewing about ten of them, I came across one which led me to say......".my goodness...I can do that."  The bravery started settling in.  To even further encourage myself, I told myself that I can practice on "scrap" material and that if it didn't work out, it was no big deal.  I could take it apart and reuse the zipper for another project once I got over the now severe case of "zipper intimidation."   Or was it a very bad case of "messed up sewing fever".  Nonetheless, I didn't want to disappoint her.

After a few hours of cutting, pinning, sewing and watching the video at least 50 times, it was completed.  If I may say so, it turned out quite well.  (It is more than recognizable, but actually well-sewed and completely functional!)  So much so that I decided to sew more box pouches.  Now my confidence is up and I am fully recovered from zipper intimidation and assembling-a-pattern fever.  I feel so good that I may make a pouch for just about every person that I know!   (Seriously, I am so grateful for the video for the step-by-step instructions.  I now like zippers.)

Well, here it is.  What do you think?  What would you store in it?



Anyone who is interested in viewing this video, I have included the link below.  Melanie really does a wonderful job at clearly showing each step. 






7 comments:

  1. That is really cute. You did a WONDERFUL job on that. It looks like a pro did it! xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diana. You would have never known looking at the finished piece how inexperienced I am with sewing and following instructions. I am now looking for more easy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Valerie. I enjoyed sewing it and I am so happy that it will be used. I even made a matching pencil pouch with it. I may even tackle sewing a throw pillow or table runner too. (I really wish I could sew well enough to create my own outfits, but I will still need to shop for that.) Sewing is fun, but I am just a beginner. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love it! I can't wait for it to arrive! Thanks, Mom! It looks like a pro did this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you honey. I am glad you will find it useful. I really find it fun to sew. Now maybe I can sew those throw pillows or totes after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete

If you you want to be notified of any replies by me to the comment you had made on my blog posting, please click on the checkbox next to "Email Follow Up Replies" at the time you write your comment in the box. This will allow me to send you a word of thanks in a returned email message to you.