Saturday, October 22, 2016

I Am Batty For Halloween



I must admit....when it comes to Halloween, it brings out the mischievous child in me every year in spite of my growing age .  Perhaps it is because most of my memories of Halloween stem from the many wonderful years celebrating the occasion with my children.  The costume Halloween parties that we had complete with food, pinatas and treats, the shopping for costumes and the evening trick or treating, all make up a history of fun and cherished memories for the whole family, especially for me. Some times I believe I was the one more excited than the children when Halloween came around each year.

I often think back with warm fuzzy feelings over these eagerly awaited times, especially that one particular year I decided to make my own witch's hat pinata filled with an over abundance of candy for that year's party. How accomplished I felt when the hat was securely covered with the strips of wet newspaper dipped in a flour and water paste and finished off with colorful black, purple, lime green and orange glitter crepe paper after it was dried.  I was super happy and excited and could just imagine all of the fun my son, daughter and their friends would have as they took their turn swinging at the spooky hat with a baseball bat while blindfolded.  I could almost hear the squeals and giggles as each child swung and missed and on the third or so try took a hit at the stored treasure of sweet treats. With each hit there was growing anticipation of the final break resulting in the tantalizing confections spewing all over the lawn.  Oh wait... could it be the year my husband and the other fathers of families attending the party had to use the chain saw to create a crack to help the children get the pinata to finally break? Whoops! And who worked so diligently to make a pinata like a concrete pillar and strong enough to hold all that candy?   Yup...That's right ...I did.  And who can I say had the most fun?  You are correct once again.  I did.
  
So now I confess that I remain a child when it comes to the Halloween season.  My excitement over Halloween still continues to this very day even though my children have  long been adults for many years now.  Thus, you will still find the carved and lit jack o' lanterns on my porch, the friendly witch standing next to her fire lit, flickering cauldron and, of course, my hallowed out treat spell book which stores the trick or treat candy and from which spooky sounds are made when opened to little clowns, robots, witches and other cutely dressed adorable characters.


So as I continue my long-standing tradition of celebrating this frightful holiday, I have included in this post some of this years various treats and budget-friendly decor.











Yum....it was fun making these whimsical cupcakes. 




I fell in love with this fabric and made them into these cute vibrant napkins.




A bat napkin fold is fun and easy and makes a spooky impression.












Hanging ghosts, spider webs and creepy eyes hang from invisible fishing line and make for a wicked welcome on the porch, especially at night.







Some haunting eyes made from painted toilet paper rolls can have quite a eerie effect when night finally arrives.







10 comments:

  1. What a charming and adorable post! You have pulled out all the stops. Couldn't be more cute and fun. I love your first photo's as well, the ones with the scenery. Have a wonderful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've really gone al out, and it was so worth it! Such fun and whimsy at every turn!

    I love Halloween too, but sadly it's not really a big deal anymore where we live. I'll live vicariously through you my friend :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is so cute! I love those cupcakes, but so many great ideas. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo to you. LOVE all the halloweene decorations. You've out done yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many cute cute touches, and lots of spooky treats! Love the pinata story!! Happy Halloween!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great- love your fun spirit! I felt the same about the enthusiasm for Halloween when the kids were little. I made costumes for them and always enjoyed going out with them to trick or treat! You've done a wonderful job with the foodie items and spooky inspired accents out on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your table! I admit I don't get into Halloween as much as Greg does, but when I read how much you love Halloween? I can feel it now! Thanks so much for joining us at the DI & DI Link Party, love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When our kids were growing up Halloween ranked right up there with Christmas. We went all out and the adults had as much fun as the kids. I love all the ideas you've shared and your stories. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to visit again. Everything is so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your spooky touches. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete